24 Hour Toll Free Help

Income Tax Professionals

Enrolled Agents and Tax Attorneys

There are a number of people out there who call themselves "Tax Professionals". Some are reputable, some are not. You may decide you want an attorney to help you with your tax problems. Tax attorneys can be a valuable ally when you have a tax issue, but you could get the same results with an Enrolled Agent or Certified Public Accountant (CPA). You should evaluate your specific situation and decide what you need. If there is a threat of criminal prosecution, an attorney may be your best option. It is important that you research the person or firm you are hiring to help you with your tax problems.

Enrolled Agents

The first thing you may ask is what is an Enrolled Agent. The National Association of Enrolled Agents defines them as "a federally-authorized tax practicioner who has technical expertise in the field of taxation and who is empowered by the U.S. Department of the Treasury to represent taxpayers before all administrative levels of the Internal Revenue Service for audits, collections and appeals". This makes the Enrolled Agent the only tax professional who gets its license to represent taxpayers from the federal government. Unlike Tax Attorneys and CPAs who may or may not choose to specialize in taxes, an Enrolled Agent handles nothing but taxes.

To qualify to be an enrolled agent, a person must pass a thourogh examination covering all aspects of the tax code or have worked for the IRS in a position that regularly interpreted and applied the tax code for at least 5 years. In other words, an Enrolled Agent understands the tax code and how it is applied. One can be a great asset in understanding how the IRS will work with taxpayers who are trying to work out their tax debt.

Certified Public Accountant

Certified Public Accountants (CPA) are simply accountants who have received a license from the state that allows them to perform audits of public taxing entities, non-profits and public and privately held companies. It is in essence a designation that gives authority to the accountant's determinations when they review the financial documents of a trusted institution or person.

The role of a CPA can vary from advising clients in personal matters, to providing tax advice for small businesses, to running the financial record keeping policies for Fortune 500 companies. Some CPAs will gladly take your case to the IRS to negotiate a settlement, but others will only represent you if you have been a long-term client.

Tax Attorney

Tax Attorneys are attorneys who work with taxpayers to solve any type of tax issue they have with the Internal Revenue Service. A Tax Attorney can help a taxpayer take immediate action against the IRS and stop the Internal Revenue Service from devastating their financial and personal life. A Tax Lawyer has the experience to help the taxpayer understand the complexity of the federal tax law and will help them get the tax debt relief they need.

The IRS has a number of aggressive collection techniques that can destroy a family's financial stability. It is important to contact a Tax Professional who is experienced in tax settlements and can help stop the Internal Revenue Service. Every client has unique tax issues, but an experienced advocate can help clients save thousands of dollars each year.

Our network of Tax Professionals can offer advice on a variety of IRS settlement options and tax debt relief solutions. If you are facing any of the following tax issues, an experienced taxpayer advocate may be able to help.

  • Installment agreements
  • Bank Levy Release
  • Tax Liens
  • Avoiding IRS Penalties
  • Tax Account Review
  • Currently Not Collectible
  • Wage Garnishment Release
  • IRS Audit Reviews
  • Tax Relief and Tax Planning
  • Innocent Spouse Relief
  • Filing Back Taxes
  • Wage Garnishments
  • Tax Lien Removal, Withdrawal
  • Penalty and Interest Abatement
  • IRS Abuse, Relief and Misconduct
  • Trust Funds advice
  • Payroll Tax Issues
  • Tax Fraud and Criminal Tax Issues
  • Offer in Compromise
  • Tax Audits
  • Payroll Tax Issues

IRS tax issues require immediate action. Taxpayers can solve the problems themselves, but tax issues can be complex. Unfortunately, it may cost more money in the long run for the tax payer who tries to navigate the intricacies of the United States Tax laws by themselves. Federal tax laws change frequently and you need an Enrolled Agent, CPA or Tax Attorney who has kept up with any tax law changes and can provide relevant and timely tax settlement advice.

How do I find a taxpayer advocate?

It is not a good idea to simply open the phone book and call the Enrolled Agent, CPA or Tax Attorney with the largest advertisement. There are many ways to find a taxpayer advocate including talking to trusted friends, your attorney or other business associates. It is important to check the person's references and make sure they are a member of a reputable professional organization.

Your taxpayer advocate should have experience personally working with the Internal Revenue Service, taxpayers and advanced knowledge and training dealing with tax law issues.

Tax laws change each year and it is important for your tax specialist to understand the wide array of state and federal tax laws. It is important to watch out for anyone who promises they can make too many deductions or get huge refunds for you. To find a smart and experience taxpayer advocate there are several questions you should ask them:

  • 1. How long have they been licensed by their repective licensing authority?
  • 2. How long have they represented clients before the IRS?
  • 3. Do they have a tax issue that they specialize in?
  • 4. How much will it cost to hire them?
  • 5. How long will it take to complete my case?
  • 6. If they can not help you, will they refer you to someone who can?
  • 7. How much of the work will they perform themselves?
  • 8. Do they have an effective privacy policy?
  • 9. What licenses do they hold?

Unfortunately, the IRS sometimes uses abuse and intimidation to scare taxpayers. As a result many people often pay more for their tax liability than necessary. The Internal Revenue Service will have the advantage against you if you do not arm yourself with a knowledgeable taxpayer advocate who can provide tax information which can protect you against IRS abuse. Let us connect you with an advocate near you who will review your case and explain how they can help you get the tax relief you need.