Anyone can run afoul of the IRS, even a former Miss Nevada and Actress

Dawn Wells was born in Reno, Nevada in 1938. She later went on to become Miss Nevada and then became even more famous as an actress playing Mary Ann Summers on TV’s Gilligan’s Island during its run from 1964 through 1967. She ultimately starred in many TV series and a few lesser known movies.

Today, after a successful career, Wells finds herself owing the state of California more than $80,000 in delinquent taxes. The tax problem surfaced last year after the 71 year old actress filed a chapter 7 bankruptcy in California. After declaring in bankruptcy court $1.5 million in liabilities with only $1.38 million in assets, the state of California filed an $80,520 lien against Wells on March 24 with the Los Angeles County Recorder of Deeds. That means the former Miss Nevada and actress is in a lot of tax trouble.

You don’t have to be famous, an actress, or a Miss anything to be in tax trouble. If you live in or around the areas of Reno or Las Vegas in the state of Nevada, you are not alone when it comes to having tax problems of one sort or the other because there is more than one type of tax problem.

Taxation within the United States is a complex system and includes a wide array of taxation entities. There are a variety of governments that can tax you. They include: taxation from local governments possibly including one or more of municipal, township, district, and county entities; regional entities such as school, utility, and transit districts; state governments; and the federal government. Each of these government entities have their sets of complex laws, so, it is very hard for the average citizen to go through life without having some type of taxation problem. To complicate matters even further, within each government entity, there can be a variety of different sources to tax you. You can pay tariffs, sales tax, income tax, recessive taxes, social security taxes, property taxes, progressive taxes, unemployment insurance taxes, corporate taxes, excise taxes, estate taxes, transfer taxes, gift taxes, and this list is not conclusive .

For the most part, most of these government entities will try to help you alleviate the mistakes by providing you with educational material through free publications, websites, and call help centers. Most will help you figure the math on what you owe and will work with you in wide variety of ways.

In the event you do have problems, you still have legal rights. The Taxpayers Bill of Rights III was enacted July 22, 1998 for the purpose of protecting your rights as a taxpayer under federal law. Most states also have their own bill of rights when it comes to tax questions, but Nevada is one state that has not passed one as to date. Nevertheless, the federal government has posted its Taxpayer Bill of Rights on its IRS internet website. It states you, as a United States taxpayer, have the right to:

  • be treated professionally, fairly, promptly, and courteously by IRS employees and Private Collection Agencies contacting you on behalf of the IRS;
  • disagree with your tax bill;
  • meet with an IRS manager if you disagree with the IRS employee who handled your tax case;
  • appeal most IRS collection actions;
  • have your case transferred to a different IRS office if you have a valid reason;
  • be represented by someone when dealing with IRS matters; and

receive a receipt for any payments you make.

If you live in or around the areas of Reno or Las Vegas in the state of Nevada, and you are having problems resolving tax issues with any of the previously mentioned government entities, you have the right to be represented by a tax attorney. It is the law, so contact us today, and we will get you in touch with a tax lawyer in your area who will be able to help you answer all the questions you may have about tax law.

Enhanced by Zemanta